Monday, January 3, 2011

1st and 2nd January 2011


After Christmas we went camping straight away for a few nights. When we came home we went 10 pin bowling, finally caught the new Harry Potter movie, and had a successful fishing trip followed by a quiet NYE at home. After all this excitement our first weekend of 2011 was a very tame affair, but very productive, with a little fun thrown in.

Mark had been itching to finish that last section of the retaining wall and I wanted to take my new wheelbarrow for a spin. Mark sawed and hammered until it was done then took to the garden with loppers and pruners. My new Yard Kart is fantastic - light as a feather and easy to maneuver. I weeded away to my heart's content and then we topped things off with some new mulch. All very satisfying.

The Christmas tree was stripped and added to the trailer. All the lights and decorations packed away - another festive season done and dusted (and vacuumed away).

The veggie patch is full of fruit and it was great to pick loganberries, tayberries, blackcurrants and cherries. Looking forward to digging new potatoes soon.

Finn was a bit grumpy and was sent to his room Saturday morning. He finally emerged some hours later having read the first two books in the Whimpy Kid series and started the Percy Jackson he got for Christmas. So much for punishment! On Sunday he got his computer privileges back and spent a good deal of the day liberating Ireland, meeting with King Brian the Mauler (and other Irish faction leaders), and making new alliances and enemies in equal measure across historical Britain.

Sunday night we got out another Christmas present from the McNeices. We played Creationary according to our own rules - everyone built something at once. Mark turned out to have a hidden talent - his treasure chest, complete with key, and chainsaw were exceptional.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my - I WISH our Christmas trees were taken down. And now I'm thinking I need to send my son to his room more so he reads more books. LOL Sounds like a productive weekend to me!

    ReplyDelete